Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"EASY TO BE INTREATED" - JAMES 3:17

When I was in my late twenties I had to make a difficult decision about the mission organization I was with. After a lot of heart-searching prayer, I resigned. The mission asked a man well known in evangelical circles to write me and ask me to reconsider. I was amazed that a man that well known would even write me a letter. After reminding me that I was still a young man and that my resignation was a bad decision, he used James 3:13-18 to try to convince me to change my mind. I took that into consideration but never wavered in the decision I had made. I felt his emphasis from that scripture was the part that states "easy to be intreated". This morning while reading a book about "Courageous Christianity" by Dr. M.L. Jones I was reminded of that scripture. I thought of how many times over the years I had to ask myself when facing a difficult problem or decision if I was being "easy to be intreated"? That does not mean you compromise Biblically held convictions. However, do we not often selfishly, or proudly, insist on having our own way in something or the other without lovingly considering the effect it will have on others? This virtue is especially needed in order to have harmony in the home. Husbands, wives, dads, moms, young people, can it be said of you that you are "easy to be entreated?" I have made this part of my prayer for many of you over the years. Are you wondering if it is you that I have in mind when I pray that? It probably is!

Dad

No comments: