Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

JUSTIFICATION and THE USE OF OUR TIME

Dear Children,
I have chosen the poet/hymn writer Isaac Watts as my source in writing to you today. Several years ago I read with great profit, The Psalms and Hymns of Isaac Watts by Soli Deo Gloria Publications. His hymns are saturated with good doctrinal content and in stark contrast to many of our modern day hymns. Speaking on our justification he writes:
Neither the acts of love, or zeal, or repentance, or fear, or worship, or any other acts of obedience, are appointed as means of our justification, because these actions carry in them an appearance of our doing something for God, our answering the demands of some law; and this would make our justification by a law of works: but faith is the act of soul whereby we renounce our own works as the ground of our acceptance; acknowledging our own unworthiness, and giving the entire honor to Divine grace. We are saved by grace, that God may have glory of all.

And Watts on a different subject:
We eat, we drink, we sleep; that is the life of nature: we buy and sell, we labor and converse; that is the civil life: we trifle, visit, tattle, flutter, and rove among a hundred impertinences, without any settled design what we live for; that is the idle life: and it is the kindest name I can bestow upon it. We learn our creed, we go to church, we say our prayers, we read chapters and sermons; these are outward forms of our religious life. Is this all? Have we no daily secret exercises of the soul in retirement and converse with God. Have we nothing to do with God alone in a whole day altogether? Surely this can never be the life of a Christian?

Please take time to read this. It would be easy to skim it as it is long and takes thinking which we all do too little of today. I know many of you are extremely busy, and it would be easy to joke about where you would get the time to do what Watts writes on this last subject. I can’t afford to neglect a meaningful time of reading, meditation, and prayer—can you?
Grace be with you, Dad

No comments: