Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Politicians running for office like to ask if you are better off materially than you were a year ago. I would like to ask each of you that same question with a one-word change. Are you better off spiritually than you were a year ago? Peter tells us to "beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." Of course there must be life before there can be growth. A few weeks ago I wrote you about desiring the milk of God's Word like newborn babes (I Peter 3:1-3). Look it up on my blog and read it again. Now I want you to examine yourselves as to your growth in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

How can you know if you are growing in grace?

1. FALSE WAY--A. Compare yourself with people worse than yourself (II Cor. 10:12). Make your standard low enough and you can be satisfied. B. Base it on activity--a child is more active than an adult.

2. TRUE METHOD--Base it on the tests of growth found in the Word of God. I Corinthians 3:1 speaks of those who are still babes in Christ and have to be fed milk when they are unable to eat meat. Consider the following four comparisons of physical babies and spiritual babies.

1) Unstable-II Peter 3:16 "..they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures unto their own destruction.” I have seen this firsthand in some of you on the question of "Christian liberty,” using that to justify sinful behavior. Unstable--changeable, easily depressed, frightened, discouraged, panicky, questioning the love of God.

2) Understanding, knowledge, discernment--"tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine”(Ephesians 4:14). The first victim of the latest cult is always a babe. New teaching comes along and they are tossed like a cork on a wave.

3) Interest in self--a child likes to be the center of the circle and if not checked by parents, it will become more subtle as they get older. Talks of self, its activities, wonderful things they have experienced, what they have done, seen, etc.

4) Child loves the spectacular, exciting, Disneyland, circus, thrills, excitement, itching ears (II Tim. 4:3), video games, more interested in gifts (I Corinthians 12). Contrast the picture Paul gives us in I Corinthians 13. Measure your growth in the Lord here! Longsuffering, kind, doesn't envy, doesn't vaunt itself, is not puffed up, doesn't behave unseemly, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil,.... bears, believes, hopes, endures all things.

How do you measure up? Has there been any growth in these areas since a year ago?

My love be with you all in Christ Jesus, Dad

No comments: