Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Prayer and Debt

Dear Family,

Your mother and I are about to get back in the air. We are scheduled to fly back to Hoonah on Thursday, Dec. 4. Adam is much better than he was when I arrived five weeks ago. He has gone from about 135 to 155 lb, There is no more sign of infection and the fever is gone. He still has to receive nutrition through an IV for 10 hours a day, but he is able to prepare messages and preach again. He will have to have tubing hooked up on the inside in the near future but that should be minor compared to what he has already gone through. Your mother has been taking a great deal of the family responsibility in helping Becky for over 4 months, counting the birth of Samuel in April, and she needs a rest. There are 7 children ranging from 7 months to 9 years. Both Adam and Becky will need your prayers as the healing continues.

Yesterday I preached here for the last time. I preached on a familiar theme to you. "Praying according to the prayers in the Bible". Laying out your arguments before the Lord. My text was Numbers 13 and 14 and how Moses interceded for Israel when the Lord said that He would "smite them with pestilence, and disinherit them" in 14:12. I also told how, back in 1960, your mother and I decided not to go in debt and only let the Lord know our needs. I gave 2 or 3 examples of the Lord's faithfulness over the last 50 years. I'm sure this was a new concept to many of them but it should not be to you. When you were still "in the nest" I read many of the Christian classics to you in our family devotions. The one that influenced us the most on the fore mentioned topic was by A.T. Pierson on the life of George Mueller. If you don't have it, buy it and read it again. Although much of our country seems to think the government (taxpayers) should bail them out when their debts exceed their ability to pay, that is not Christian. The Lord will not bless you if you take that route. If you can't pay for it you don't need it! "My God shall supply all of your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." Too often our wants have become our needs. If you have lost funds recently don't let that rob you of peace. “Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

With Prayer and Thanksgiving, Dad

No comments: