Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Monday, May 19, 2014

Sodomy


Dear Children,
Sixty-two years ago I joined the Marine Corps and upon arriving at Parris Island I was issued a uniform, boots, etc., along with cigarettes and a Bible. We were also given a warning that we would be immediately given a dishonorable discharge if we were caught engaging in any kind of homosexual activity. Later in Camp Pendleton, Calif. when I stood in front of a copy of the Uniform Code of Military Justice that was on the wall and read about sodomy, I was warned again of the dire consequences if caught engaging in those activities. Being a country boy I didn’t even know what the word “sodomy” meant. Cigarettes and Bibles issued by the U.S. government and severe punishment for sodomy!
This week when “Sodomy Sam” was drafted 148th out of the 150 eligible college football players who were chosen, the media went wild. All the major news organizations hailed him as a hero as he wept and hugged and kissed his “boyfriend” before a national audience set by ESPN, the place where most athletes look for their sports news. The Washington Post headlined an article entitled “How ESPN, Michael Sam and his boyfriend broke new ground.” Columnist Cal Thomas wrote, “He is being treated by the media and those in the gay rights movement as the equivalent of an American pioneer.” Fox news interviewed a sports writer who said Sam was another Jackie Robinson. Every black person in America ought to resent that awful comparison! Miami Dolphins safety Don Jones tweeted “OMG” and “horrible.” He has been fined and suspended from all team activities until he completes educational and sensitivity training to get his “right mind.”
My biggest concern is that evangelical Christians are being softened and are changing their thinking on this issue. Some ministers are regarding sodomy on the same scale as gross sins like adultery, stealing, lying, etc. Recently a new book from a mainstream evangelical Christian publisher has come out with the title “God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same Sex Relationships” by Mathew Vines who describes himself as a gay Christian. Instead of softening our words, let’s use God’s Word when we encounter this abominable sin. “Abomination” is what God calls it (Leviticus 18:22). If it is an abomination to God, should it not be the same to me? What is wrong with using the same word as God? In Romans 1 God singles this abominable sin out in very explicit terms and concludes with “gave them up unto vile affections,” “gave them over to a reprobate mind.” Could this include a nation?
This week the state of Alaska has been sued by two homosexual couples that want to be married and have the marriage approved by our government. In 1998 Senator Loren Leman wrote in support of an amendment he sponsored “that to be valid a marriage may exist only between one man and one woman.” He asked me to bring some of my church members to Kenai to participate in a debate via teleconference with members of the Alaska State Senate in Juneau. We did that, but to be honest I thought I was debating about an issue that would never happen in my lifetime. Our constitution was amended with Ballot Measure 2 by the vote of the citizens of Alaska on November 3, 1998. These couples will probably find a liberal, pro-homo, ungodly judge who will throw out Amendment 2.
Paul says in Romans 1:16, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power off God unto salvation to every one that believeth.” Later in the chapter he describes the homosexuals. They can thank God they can be included in the “every one” if they repent of their “abominable” sin and embrace the sacrifice provided by the Lord Jesus Christ at Calvary.
May God give each of you the grace to stand with Him in this battle.
DAD

No comments: