Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Friday, February 17, 2017

"More Than THESE" (February 17, 2017)


-->
Dear Kids, Relatives and Friends,
A lot has happened since my last letter—an election, an inauguration of a new president, cabinet appointments—lots of political stuff that has been thoroughly covered over and over.
This blog was originally started because Proverbs 1:8 begins with, "My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother." I have in my possession a sheaf of papers handed down from my forefathers more than a century ago called "Instructions To My Children." They contain good clear Biblical instructions about salvation and godly living. They are meant to be handed down from generation to generation.
The verse quoted above is not meant for little children nor even just for sons and daughters still in the home. Charles Bridges in the best Bible commentary there is on Proverbs says, "Nor must this reverence be confined to the years of restraint. Neither age nor rank gives any claim to exemption.”
My nine children and their spouses and my 38 grandchildren are included here! I have used most of my space in my introduction but I want to send you at least one lesson I've been thinking about lately.
John 21 begins with Jesus revealing Himself to the disciples after his resurrection. He addresses Peter, Thomas, and two other disciples before they know who He is. Peter said he was going back to the same occupation he had before he met Jesus—he said, “I'm going fishing.” The others said, "We will go with you." You can read the rest of the story yourself about fishing all night and not catching anything. I relate to that very well! Then Jesus appeared on the shore and told them to cast their nets on the other side of the boat and they caught 153 large fish. After they had breakfast with Jesus He asked Peter if he loved Him "more than these." Three times He asked Peter if he loved him.
Remember just a few days before this Peter had betrayed Jesus three times. What are "THESE" that we find in verse 15?  What had become more important than loving Jesus? These=Fish!
Now in closing I ask each of you to think upon this question—Could you have a "THESE" in your life that you love more than Jesus? I hate to make a list of possibilities because you could quickly deny any of them being your "THESE."
A "THESE" could be an obvious thing like husband, wife, your children, or grandchildren. Perhaps your job or some pleasure? TV or techie stuff like computers or video games, Facebook or phone? A boy friend or girl friend? A car or 4 wheeler or snow machine? Airplanes and traveling? A sports team or physical exercise? Camping, fishing, hunting? None of these are sin, but if you love anything more than you love Jesus they become a sin. Take some time; meditate and pray about whether or not there may be a "THESE” in you life.

No comments: