Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Sunday, September 21, 2008

EVENING DEVOTIONS - PS. 119:148: "MINE EYES PREVENT THE NIGHT WATCHES, THAT I MIGHT MEDITATE IN THY WORD."

Dear Family,
On September 14th I wrote to encourage you to "prevent the dawning of the morning" (Ps. 119:147) and to get up early to spend time in reading the word of God and prayer. I've heard from several of you on this and would like to hear that more of you have established this as a daily habit. One mother wrote that her eight year old got out of bed rubbing his eyes and asked for his Bible so he could read before breakfast. Tonight I'd like to urge you to regularly have an evening devotional time also. This will be more difficult as you will be tired and find it hard to concentrate, so I'd like to send you a brief guideline.

1. Read and meditate on the morning psalm again.
2. Make a quiet review of my day.
3. Confess today’s sins. (I hope this doesn't take long!)
4. Intercede for those I met today.
5. Intercede for those on my heart.
6. Thanksgiving for the blessings received today.

You may already an established an evening time with the Lord but I thought this might be a help to you who find it difficult. I'm not sure where I got this but I'm sure it is not original with me. Let me know if this helps or if you'd like to add something to this list.

Blessings on each of you, DAD

No comments: