Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Saturday, September 13, 2008

"I PREVENTED THE DAWNING OF THE MORNING" PS. 119:147

If you are not starting your day by reading your Bible may I encourage you to begin. Don't use the excuse that you are not a "morning person" or you can't get up that early or something. If you are not practicing early morning devotions I would like you to start tomorrow and do it for a month. Don't get sidetracked but diligently pursue this for the entire month. Then let me know how it worked out. If after a month you are unable to keep this up or think it not worth the price of losing sleep then let me know that too. I know you don't have time like I do but take at least half an hour to read and pray and you won't ever regret it. If I went to my grave knowing my 9 children, their spouses, and 28 grandchildren practiced this each morning without fail even for 10 or 15 minutes each day I could wish no greater joy. Love, Dad

"Early prayers are undisturbed by the agitating cares of life,...O my soul canst thou say that thou "prevented the dawning of the morning" in thy approaches to God? Has the desire of communion with heaven raised thee from thy slumbers, shaken off thy sloth, and carried thee to thy knees?'---John Morison

"Morning devotion anchors the soul so that it will not readily drift away from God during the day." C H Spurgeon

"He who rushes from his bed to his business and waiteth not to worship, is as foolish as as though he had not put on his clothe, or cleansed his face, as unwise as though he dashed into battle without arms or armour. --CHS

No comments: