Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

BLEMISHES IN CHRISTIAN CHARACTER NO. 3

No problem with Austerus and Humanus?? See how you fare with No. 3?

PRUDENS, though not of a generous natural temper, is a partaker of that grace which opens the heart, and inspires a disposition to love and good works. He bestows not his alms to be seen of men; but they who have the best opportunities of knowing what he does for the relief of others, and of comparing it with his ability, can acquit him in good measure of the charge which another part of his conduct exposes him to. For Prudens is a great economist; and though he would not willingly wrong or injure any person, yet the meannesses to which he will submit, either to save or gain a penny in what he accounts an honest way, are a great discredit to his profession. He is punctual in filling his engagements; but exceedingly hard, strict, and suspicious in making his bargains.* And in his dress, and every article of his personal concerns, he is content to be so much below the station in which the providence of God has placed him, that to those who are not acquainted with his private benefactions to the poor, he appears under the hateful character of a miser, and to be governed by the love of money which the Scripture declares to be the root of all evil, and inconsistent with the true love of God and of all saints.

*Proverbs 20: 14 comes to mind here-"It is naught, it is naught saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way he boasteth." DGDAF

1 comment:

Becky Roland said...

This brought to mind the questions you asked the church people when I was 10 years old. They were something like this: "If you had more money would you be happier? How much? Ten thousand dollars? twenty thousand dollars? What amount will make you happier? If your bills are paid off will it make you happier? Then will you be content? How much will it take?" I also remember the intense discussion over this. I am thankful for having had to stretch my mind with these thoughts as a child.