Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

PSALM 123:4 - Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.

PSALM 123:4 - Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those that are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud.
"They are in easy circumstances; they are easy in heart through a deadened conscience, and so they easily come to mock at holiness...their conceit of themselves is boundless. Such men take things easily, and therefore they scorn the holy carefulness of those who watch the hand of the Lord. They say 'Who is the Lord that we should obey His voice?' and then they turn round with a contemptuous look and sneer at those who fear the Lord...Pride is both contemptible and contemptuous. The contempt of the great ones of the earth is often peculiarly acrid: some of them, like a well- known statesman (politician) are masters of gibes and flouts and sneers, and never do they seem so much at home in their acrimony as when a servant of the Lord is the victim of their venom....Let us bear our share of this evil which still rages under the sun, and let us firmly believe that the contempt of the ungodly shall turn to our honor in the world to come: even now it serves as a certificate that we are not of the world, for if we were of this world the world would love us as its own."

These words of Spurgeon fit much of the rhetoric I heard since last Tuesday's election. I believe the Christian who boldly stands for his faith will soon be tested much as stated here.

We are thankful for the many kind, encouraging emails this week. Let us pray for one another. Grace to you; DGDAF ($5 To the first one to figure out my sign-off!)

No comments: