Dear Children and Grandchildren,

I have enjoyed the Word of God more than I ever have since I am no longer preaching 3 or 4 times a week and am not pressed for time. Some times I find things I'd like to share with all of you, or some of you individually. With your mother's encouragement I'd like to start a "Bible Blog" and share some of my thoughts with you. Last night I told Joanna that I opened a can of "Pork and Beans" for supper, (your mother is in Arizona helping Becky while Adam recuperates from a serious operation) but I found no pork so I renamed it "Beans and Beans". With a hearty laugh she wondered if I had "looked under every bean?' I trust what I send you will have some "pork" but if you find it to be only "beans" just push the delete button.

Ps.119:168 "I have kept Thy precepts and Thy testimonies: for all my ways are before Thee," As you were growing up one of the things I was careful to emphasize in our daily devotions was that the time would come when you would no longer be under the eye of Mom and Dad but you would never be out of sight of God's eye. What an encouragement we find here to keep God's Word. "all my ways are before Thee,"

"Experience makes many a paradox plain, and this is one. Before God we may be clear of open fault and yet at the same time mourn over a thousand heart-wanderings which need his restoring hand."--C.H. Spurgeon

"I may hide Thee from my eye, but not myself from Thine eye."--Wm. Gurnall

Monday, November 10, 2008

The King’s Heart…Prov. 21:1

Dear Family and Friends,

On this Veteran's Day I have been thinking of the freedoms we enjoy because of those who have given years of their lives in the service of our country and of those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. Most of us who are older are missing a family member, a relative, a friend, or someone we served with who didn't come back from a war. I wrote you on my last blog about the elections. The sacrifices made by our veterans made it possible for us to cast our vote last Tuesday. For you who were disappointed in the outcome do not ever forget God is still on the throne and "the king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of waters: He turneth it whithersoever He will." Proverbs 21:1
"All the abilities, powers, and instincts, that are found amongst creatures, are emanations from His fulness. All changes, successes, disappointments ---all that is memorable in the annals of history, all the rising and falls of empires, all the turns in human life, take place according to His plan. In vain men contrive and combine to accomplish their own counsels. Unless they are parts of His counsel likewise, the efforts of their utmost strength and wisdom are crossed and reversed by the the feeblest and most unthought-of- circumstances. But when He has a work to accomplish, and His time is come, however inadequate and weak the means He employs may seem to the carnal eye, the success is infallibly in the hands of the potter. Great and marvelous are Thy works, Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Thy ways, Thou King of saints.!" Rev. 15:3

I extracted this quote from a book I am reading, Letters of John Newton, the author of "Amazing Grace." Grace be to all of you, Dad

No comments: